15433 Ventura Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
Just Words® is an intervention (Tier 2) program for students in grades 4-12 and adults. It provides direct and explicit teaching of “how English works“ for both decoding and spelling automaticity. The multisensory approach is designed for individuals who have mild to moderate gaps in their decoding and spelling proficiency but do not require intensive intervention. It provides a curricculm for the sophisticated study of word structure through the six syllable types in English and the most common Latin roots. Just Words is an appropriate intervention in daily small-group or small-class instruction.
This 10-hour workshop, co-sponsored by IDA-Los Angeles, provides the practice and guidance needed to effectively begin teaching the Wilson Just Words® curriculum. At the completion of the workshop, attendees will be able to:
- Understand the research base of the why and how of Just Words® instruction.
- Understand the principles of instruction: explicit, sequential and cumulative instruction that incorporates review, repetition, feedback, and multisensory instruction to engage multiple learning styles.
- Identify the skills taught in Just Words®: word study (phonemic awareness, six basic syllable types in English, spelling rules, common Latin roots, prefixes, and suffixes), vocabulary study, and high frequency words.
- Properly identify and group students.
- Use the Instructor Manual’s Unit structure and materials, prepare a daily learning plan, and practice lesson activity procedures.
- Administer Progress Checks at the beginning of each Unit and Unit Tests at the end in order to assess students’ progress.
Prerequisite None Duration: Two Consecutive Days (10 hours)