1450 Leigh Ave
San Jose, CA 95125
2018 Summer Comprehensive Training Classes: Introductory and 3rd Levels
Wednesday – Friday, May 29, 30, 31 – 4:00 to 9:00 pm
Mondays – Fridays, June 6 to 29: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Only the introductory level and third level continuum classes will be offered on these dates. Pre-approval is required for all participants wishing to take the third level continuum class. Please contact the class instructor for approval using the email link above.
Register early and get the best value registration. Registration costs increase on May 1, 2018; online registration will be available through May 15, 2018.
Introductory Level Comprehensive Class
This class is the core of the Slingerland training program. It is traditionally offered as a four-week summer session and includes a practicum with students. It can also be adapted into a four to six week in-year class.
Class Content Includes:
- Instruction in the introductory steps of handwriting, written language, decoding and reading comprehension
- Knowledge of the historical and philosophical background of Specific Language Disability (dyslexia)
- The study of phonic rules and their application to encoding and decoding
- The neurology of language as a means of developing oral language skills The history, philosophy and current research in the field of dyslexia
- The relationship of curriculum and classroom organization to the language arts program
- Practice with multi-sensory teaching principles through daily work with children
133 classroom hours. This class is approved for 6 graduate level extension credits through University of San Diego. Registration for extension credits must happen ON or BEFORE the first day of the class. Click here to view the USD enrollment page for the introductory level class.
Third Level Continuum Class
This four week class is designed for a limited number of participants wishing to become staff teachers in Slingerland multisenstory structured language training course. This class encompasses all learning in the introductory and second level classes as the participant learns how to organize, maintain and evaluate a summer session, its students and participants.
Participants may also enroll in the Third Level Continuum Class for more directed work with small groups of students. Daily lesson plans are developed to meet the needs of these students under the direction of the Slingerland Instructor.
Class Content Includes:
- The use of the Slingerland® Approach with a classroom group of children
- Evaluations of participant lesson plans, materials and teaching stations
- Evaluations of delivery of planned lessons Assisting with the completion of forms for the Slingerland® Institute
- Preparation and delivery of lectures to participants
- Preparation of an orientation about dyslexia and the Slingerland® Approach
- Individualized requirements assigned by the Director
133 classroom hours. This class is approved for 6 graduate level extension credits through University of San Diego. Registration for graduate level extension credits must happen ON or BEFORE the first day of the class. Click here to view the USD enrollment page for the third level continuum class.