2511 Numa Watson Rd
Seaside, CA 93955
Orton-Gillingham is a research based sequential, multisensory method proven effective for over 80 years. The 32 hour course achieves the Classroom Educator certification to prepare teachers for implementing the Orton-Gillingham approach.
The 4 day training, totaling 32 hours, will be held on the following dates:
- Friday, September 8th
- Saturday, September 9th
- Friday, September 22nd
- Saturday, September 23rd
- 8:30a.m. to 5:00p.m.
- Continental Breakfast and Lunch will be provided.
Course will be taught by Nancy Redding, M.Ed, a Fellow-In-Training with the Association of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators.
- Dyslexia and related reading disorders
- Stages of reading development in children
- Rationale of the Orton-Gillingham Approach
- Phonology and phonological awareness
- Basic and intermediate phonics for reading and spelling
- The motor component and the writing process
- General history of the English language and beginningmorphology
- The lesson plan and teaching materials
- Assessment and diagnostic-prescriptive teaching
About Nancy Redding:
Nancy Redding, M.Ed. is a Fellow-In-Training with AOGPE. Shehas 40 years of experience with OG, both in academic therapywith students of all ages, and in conducting teacher training.She has been a learning specialist at the elementary, highschool and community college levels. Nancy is the co-author ofPatterns for Success, an OG based reading and spelling programdesigned as a supplement to OG instruction. She has presentedat numerous workshops and conferences, and is active inInternational Dyslexia Association, both at the local and nationallevels.
The Registration Fee includes two Training Manuals. Lunch isprovided. You will need to bring some supplies for note takingand organizing information. A list of required readings andsupplies is provided upon registration.
This 4 day training does not provide a practicum, which isrequired to complete the Classroom Educator certification fromAOGPE; the practicum will be arranged separately for thosedesiring certification.
What is the Academy of Orton-GillinghamPractitioners and Educators?
The express purposes of the Academy are to:
- Establish and maintain professional and ethical standardsfor practitioners and educators of the Orton-GillinghamApproach for the treatment of dyslexia.
- Certify individuals who have demonstrated competence aspractitioners and educators of the Orton-GillinghamApproach
- Accredit programs train Orton-Gillingham practitioners andeducators.
- Accredit, in schools, clinics, and summer programs, Orton-Gillingham instruction that meets Academy standards.
- Sponsor, promote and undertake research relevant toOrton-Gillingham instruction and disseminate the results ofsuch research.
- Promote public awareness of the needs of children andadults with dyslexia, and of the Orton- Gillingham Approachfor the treatment of dyslexia.
- Visit the AOGPE website: www.ortonacademy.org