Click HERE for the flyer.
Phonics First® Level I Orton-Gillingham Course Content designed for: K-5 General Education*, Intervention, Resource, Special Education
* Classroom intervention instruction for grades 4-5
This comprehensive and highly intensive course qualifies teachers to bring Orton-Gillingham multisensory instruction to their classrooms.Phonics First® transforms beginning, struggling, dyslexic/LD readers into skilled learners through our effective, fun, multisensory approach to reading and spelling.
Participants learn to teach:
• Alphabet and phonemic awareness strategies
• Basic and advanced phonetic concepts for decoding and encoding
• A Three-Part Drill for structured review
• Tactile/kinesthetic spelling techniques for phonetic and non-phonetic words
• Syllabication for multisyllabic words (8 Syllable Types/3 Syllable Patterns)
• Higher-level spelling skills
• Oral reading/connected text fluency
• Guidance with lesson planning and classroom implementation
• Opportunities for hands-on lesson practice with other participants
• Emphasis on teaching reading to beginning, struggling, and dyslexic/LD readers using Orton-Gillingham methodology
Upon completion, participants will:
• Receive a document of completion
• Be prepared to teach Phonics First® to K-5 students
• Be eligible for Level II and to apply for Brainspring’s nationally recognized certification program
Course Hours: 30
|KIT CHOICES||Course Materials||Implementation Materials||Remote Support|
| Classroom Complete Kit (Recommended)
Small-Group Complete Kit (Recommended)
| Classroom Support Kit
Small-Group Support Kit
All Kit options include the Starter Kit of course materials necessary to participate in the course and work one-on-one with a single student.
Brainspring recommends a Complete Kit for each teacher attending a Phonics First® course. A Complete Kit includes the materials necessary to implement the Phonics First® curriculum with multiple students.
| Classroom Materials
(for up to 25 students)
|OR|| Small-Group Materials
(for up to 10 students)
To address questions that occur as teachers begin implementing Phonics First®, a personalized consultation session provides effective support based on each teacher’s unique needs.
- The teacher records and uploads a 20- to 30-minute video of a lesson being taught to students.
- The Phonics First® Coach views the video and schedules a 20- to 30-minute phone consultation to provide guidance, feedback and support and to answer questions for the teacher.