Events sponsored by Decoding Dyslexia CA (DDCA) are indicated on the events calendar. Local events held by other organizations may also be listed that may be of interest to our members. DDCA does not endorse any specific program or company.
EdRev (Education Revolution) is a unique day of information, resources, celebration and community for students who learn differently and the families and professionals who support them. Parents Education Network (PEN) and around 2,000 attendees celebrated the eighth annual EdRev in 2016.
EdRev 2017 features keynote speaker Scott Barry Kaufman, psychologist and author of Ungifted: Intelligence Redefined and Wired to Create: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Creative Mind.
EdRev: A day to think a little differently will give you the chance to experience :
- Information: Learn from renowned speakers presenting their work from the cutting edge of learning science
- Resources: Explore a diverse range of resources presented by tech companies, service providers, schools, colleges and support organizations
- Celebration: Experience an atmosphere where students’ strengths are celebrated and the stigma of LD disappears
- Community: Connect with parents, educators and students who are all on the same journey as you
EdRev brings you:
- The latest technology that supports learning
- A wide range of informative, relevant workshops
- Music and outdoor activities for students
- Over 100 exhibitors in the School and Career Fair, Testing and Solution Center, and the Community Corner.
- Student Art Gallery and hands-on activities in the Creativity Unleashed! section
Don’t miss this unique national event for students who learn differently and the families and professionals who support them!
VIP Ticket Benefits:
- Discover the Ten Things Highly Creative People do Differently: a hosted breakfast with keynote speaker Scott Barry Kaufman
- Access to VIP Lounge, Coffee and Snacks throughout the day
- Reserved seating for Keynote Speaker presentation
- Guided tour of EdRev by PEN board members
- Copy of Ungifted: Intelligence Redefined by keynote speaker Scott Barry Kaufman
- EdRev 2017 Commemorative Photoball Memorabilia
A one day, hands-on, special education workshop designed to meet the needs of parents and professionals serving children and teens with disabilities. Perfect for educators, healthcare providers, advocates and attorneys. This program is not disability or state specific.
For more information (parking, accommodations etc): http://www.wrightslaw.com/speak/18.02.ca.htm
Each ticket includes:
- Wrightslaw book set ($63 value) – Wrightslaw: Special Education Law, 2nd Edition, Wrightslaw: From Emotions to Advocacy, 2nd Edition and Wrightslaw: All About IEPs
- Sandwich lunches and all-day tea/coffee bar
Early Bird Discounts until January 7, 2018*
*Early Bird registrants will also receive emailed pdf copies of Wrightslaw Special Education Law, 2nd Ed. and Wrightslaw: Special Education Legal Developments and Cases 2016 which retail for $29.95.
Please join co-founders Dr. Kelli Sandman-Hurley and Tracy Block-Zaretsky of Dyslexia Training Institute and Decoding Dyslexia CA for a one day Dyslexia Symposium. Kelli and Tracy are the developers of the “Dyslexia for a Day” simulation kit. Attendees will participate in a simulation followed by a discussion on AB 1369 and the new California Dyslexia Guidelines. Kelli and Tracy will be discussing what dyslexia is, its neurobiological origin, structured literacy and appropriate accommodations for students with dyslexia. Kelli was the key dyslexia expert that testified in support of AB 1369. In a powerful TEDEd video Dr. Kelli Sandman-Hurley urges us to think again about dyslexic brain function and to celebrate the neurodiversity of the human brain.
About our speakers:
Kelli Sandman-Hurley, Ed.D. is an author, TEDEd presenter and co-founder of the Dyslexia Training Institute. She received her doctorate in literacy with a specialization in reading and dyslexia from San Diego State University and the University of San Diego. She is also completing her TESOL certification. Dr. Kelli is a certified special education advocate assisting parents and children through the Individual Education Plan (IEP) and 504 Plan process. She has training in mediation and also serves as an expert witness in the area of dyslexia. Dr. Kelli is trained in Structured Word Inquiry, the Orton-Gillingham approach, Lindamood-Bell, RAVE-O and Read Naturally. Dr. Kelli is a Past-President of the San Diego Branch of the International Dyslexia Association. She is a dyslexia consultant working with schools to improve services offered to students with dyslexia and training teachers. She co-created and produced “Dyslexia for a Day: A Simulation of Dyslexia,” and she is a frequent speaker at conferences. She is the author of the well-received book, Dyslexia Advocate! How to Advocate for a Child with Dyslexia within the Public Education System.
Tracy Block-Zaretsky is the co-founder of the Dyslexia Training Institute. She has provided remediation for children and adults with dyslexia for the past 20 years and has developed and taught workplace and family literacy program. She is a certified Special Education advocate assisting parents and children through the Individual Education Plan (IEP) and 504Plan process. She is a past President of the San Diego Branch of the International Dyslexia Association.Tracy has training in Structured Word Inquiry, the Orton-Gillingham approach, Lindamood-Bell programs, Read Naturally and a variety of reading and writing assessments. She co-created and produced, “Dyslexia for a Day: A Simulation of Dyslexia,” and has provided professional development for educators and training for parents at numerous conferences, private on-site trainings and online courses and webinars. Tracy is also a parent of a child with dyslexia, dysgraphia, ADD and Executive Function Disorder.
SPEAKER: Michael E. Jewell, an Orange County attorney who practices educational law
Mr. Jewell will discuss special education law, learning disabilities, dyslexia and AB 1369 and how these impact students and schools.
This is a free event, but we would appreciate it you would please register in advance.