250 Valencia St
San Francisco, CA 94103
2017 Summer Comprehensive Course – San Francisco, CA
When: 6/10/2017, 6/21/2017, 6/22/2017, 6/23/2017, 6/26/2017, 6/27/2017, 6/28/2017, 6/29/2017, 6/30/2017, 7/5/2017, 7/6/2017, 7/7/2017, 7/10/2017, 7/11/2017, 7/12/2017, 7/13/2017, 7/14/2017, 7/17/2017, 7/18/2017, 7/19/2017, 7/20/2017, 7/21/2017
Where: San Francisco Friends School, 250 Valencia St., San Francisco CA 94103
Event Organizer Email: email@example.com
SAVE THE DATE for the Slingerland comprehensive Teacher training program in the San Francisco area. All three levels of the comprehensive training course will be offered. Dates are June 21 to July 21 – no class on Monday or Tuesday, July 3rd/4th.
There is an additional materials cost for this course – it is all outlined in the “more information” link above.
Please use the email link above to contact the course director for more information.
Registration deadline is June 1, 2017
Headstart/Orientation date is Saturday, June 10, 2017
Parents – if you are interested in having your child attend this summer session, please download the information packet by clicking HERE
Introductory Level Comprehensive Course
This course is the core of the Slingerland training program. It is traditionally offered as a four-week summer session and includes a practicum with students. It can also be adapted into a four to six week in-year course.
Course Content Includes:
- Instruction in the introductory steps of handwriting, written language, decoding and reading comprehension
- Knowledge of the historical and philosophical background of Specific Language Disability (dyslexia)
- The study of phonic rules and their application to encoding and decoding
- The neurology of language as a means of developing oral language skills The history, philosophy and current research in the field of dyslexia
- The relationship of curriculum and classroom organization to the language arts program
- Practice with multi-sensory teaching principles through daily work with children
133 classroom hours. This course is approved for 6 graduate level extension credits through University of San Diego. Registration for extension credits must happen ON or BEFORE the first day of the course. Click here to view the USD enrollment page for the introductory level course.
Second Level Continuum Course
Traditionally offered as a 4-week period of intensive study with a practicum. After a brief, basic review of the introductory course, participants will be introduced to and practice more advanced techniques in the language arts continuum. The use of the dictation paragraph and the screening procedures for identifying students will also be presented.
Course Content Includes:
- Guided observation of the evaluative and prescriptive elements imbedded in the daily plan Knowledge of how oral language skills relate to writing and reading skills
- Studying the vertical and horizontal use of the format for instruction
- How to integrate a new learning throughout the format
- Critical thinking skills needed for reading, writing and speaking
- Current research in all aspects of dyslexia
- How to administer and evaluate the Slingerland Screening materials
133 classroom hours. This course is approved for 6 graduate level extension credits through University of San Diego. Registration for extension credits must happen ON or BEFORE the first day of the course. Click here to view the USD enrollment page for the second level continuum course.
Third Level Continuum Course
This four week course is designed for a limited number of participants wishing to become staff teachers in Slingerland training courses. This course encompasses all learning in the introductory and second level courses as the participant learns how to organize, maintain and evaluate a summer session, its students and participants.
Participants may also enroll in the Third Level Continuum Course for more directed work with small groups of students. Daily lesson plans are developed to meet the needs of these students under the direction of the Slingerland Director.
Third Year Continuum Course Content Includes:
- The use of the Slingerland® Approach with a classroom group of children
- Evaluations of participant lesson plans, materials and teaching stations
- Evaluations of delivery of planned lessons Assisting with the completion of forms for the Slingerland® Institute
- Preparation and delivery of lectures to participants
- Preparation of an orientation about dyslexia and the Slingerland® Approach
- Individualized requirements assigned by the Director
133 classroom hours. This course is approved for 6 graduate level extension credits through University of San Diego. Registration for graduate level extension credits must happen ON or BEFORE the first day of the course. Click here to view the USD enrollment page for the third level continuum course.
More Information: /Assets/Files/2017-Teacher-Info-ApplicationSlinge.pdf