1450 Leigh Ave
San Jose, CA 95125
2017 Summer Comprehensive Course – San Jose, CA (Continuum Levels)
When: 6/28/2017, 7/5/2017, 7/6/2017, 7/7/2017, 7/10/2017, 7/11/2017, 7/12/2017, 7/13/2017, 7/14/2017, 7/17/2017, 7/18/2017, 7/19/2017, 7/20/2017, 7/21/2017, 7/24/2017, 7/25/2017, 7/26/2017, 7/27/2017, 7/28/2017
Where: Valley Christian Elementary School, 1450 Leigh Avenue; San Jose, CA 95125
Event Organizer Email: email@example.com
SAVE THE DATE for the 2017 Summer Comprehensive Training Course. The dates for the course are June 28 – July 28. Tentative Course Times are:
– June 28: 1:00 to 8:00 pm
– July 5 – 28: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Only the second and third year continuum levels will be offered on these dates. No class on June 29, 30, July 3 or 4. Pre-approval is required for all participants wishing to take the third level continuum course. Please contact the course instructor using the email link above.
Register early and get the best value registration. Registration costs increase on June 7, 2017; online registration will be available through June 14, 2017.
Second Level Continuum Course
Traditionally offered as a 4-week period of intensive study with a practicum. After a brief, basic review of the introductory course, participants will be introduced to and practice more advanced techniques in the language arts continuum. The use of the dictation paragraph and the screening procedures for identifying students will also be presented.
Course Content Includes:
- Guided observation of the evaluative and prescriptive elements imbedded in the daily plan Knowledge of how oral language skills relate to writing and reading skills
- Studying the vertical and horizontal use of the format for instruction
- How to integrate a new learning throughout the format
- Critical thinking skills needed for reading, writing and speaking
- Current research in all aspects of dyslexia
- How to administer and evaluate the Slingerland Screening materials
133 classroom hours. This course is approved for 6 graduate level extension credits through University of San Diego. Registration for extension credits must happen ON or BEFORE the first day of the course. Click here to view the USD enrollment page for the second level continuum course.
Third Level Continuum Course
This four week course is designed for a limited number of participants wishing to become staff teachers in Slingerland training courses. This course encompasses all learning in the introductory and second level courses as the participant learns how to organize, maintain and evaluate a summer session, its students and participants.
Participants may also enroll in the Third Level Continuum Course for more directed work with small groups of students. Daily lesson plans are developed to meet the needs of these students under the direction of the Slingerland Director.
Third Year Continuum Course Content Includes:
- The use of the Slingerland® Approach with a classroom group of children
- Evaluations of participant lesson plans, materials and teaching stations
- Evaluations of delivery of planned lessons Assisting with the completion of forms for the Slingerland® Institute
- Preparation and delivery of lectures to participants
- Preparation of an orientation about dyslexia and the Slingerland® Approach
- Individualized requirements assigned by the Director
133 classroom hours. This course is approved for 6 graduate level extension credits through University of San Diego. Registration for graduate level extension credits must happen ON or BEFORE the first day of the course. Click here to view the USD enrollment page for the third level continuum course.
More Information: /Assets/Files/2017-VCS-SS-Reg.pdf